Thursday, November 7, 2013

Why I believe homosexuality is not ok, but gay marriage is.

I'm going to say something here that will probably get me in all sorts of trouble with all sorts of people (assuming they find my little blog), but I feel like it's something I need to clarify before I get lumped in with this camp or that.

I believe homosexuality is a sin, but I don't believe the government should be in the business of restricting homosexuals from marrying (in the same way I don't believe the government should force a church to marry homosexuals).

Now that I have reasonable confidence that I've angered most everyone, I will try and explain.

The bible is extremely clear on what it states on homosexuality in both the old testament (Leviticus 18 talks very clearly about all sorts of sexual prohibitions, Leviticus 20:13, etc) and new testament (Romans 1:21-27, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10).  To throw that aside as "not applicable" is to open the door to throwing anything else in there aside (you will then have a the same justification for polygamy, bestiality, incest, etc) and brings to question the authenticity and authority of the bible.  At some point, it isn't a far cry to throw the whole thing out and just read the parts you like to support what you've decided on your own.

Now, I am not saying that homosexuals are going to hell anymore than I am saying someone who tells a lie is going to hell...sin is sin and salvation is ONLY through the grace of God. (You can get into judging people by their fruits, etc but that is another discussion entirely.)

On the second portion of my earlier statement, I don't believe the government should be enforcing beliefs (especially beliefs specific to the church and to the Bible alone) on people.  In fact, I would go even as far as to say the government should get out of the whole business of marriage and leave that to the people and the organizations involved (including churches).

I fully support people's right to protest and make their voice known that they believe it's wrong (and why), but I will not participate in that because I don't stand on the same belief that they do (which is that their beliefs should be enforced by government).  On the same token, I will not participate in pride parades or things to support homosexuality because I very much believe it is a sin (and again, because I don't believe their beliefs should be enforced by government).  The last part applies to the homosexual argument because of stories I've read and heard of some countries making the stance that a church cannot deny marrying someone on the basis that they are homosexual as it counts as discrimination.  If this is something that started as a movement here in the country I am a citizen of, I WILL participate and fight that vehemently.

Hopefully that clarifies my stance a bit and why I feel, at many times, very much at odds with both sides and am often torn between the people I care about and what they stand for (in both camps).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I may not agree with your view on homosexuality but I applaud how you A) do not let that effect how you treat people. B) You don't rally against people for their beliefs. C) You realize that peoples' opinions are their own.
I am married to someone who feels the same way you do. I don't feel that way (I.e. God made people that way... But that's my opinion), and this created some strife between my husband and I. However, I have learned to respect his opinion and he mine. I think you have every right to your opinion, but I respect how you don't force this upon other people.